11-E-36 / 905.1 / 93E2 SCHOOL AT FT. MONMOUTH, NJ


Compiled by Paul A. Roales

Note: The email below are arranged in order of graduation date from the school.
Updated Feb. 7, 2010 (See January, 1964 below). Updated Nov. 10, 2013 (see Feb., 1959 below). Updated Jan. 29, 2015 with a note on the death of Bob Robinson (see immedetely below).
January 1959. In Sept. 2002 I got an email from Bob Robinson who also sent me his Graduating Class photo (seen on left below) Bob says: "The graduating class, Jan. 29, 1959. Back row L to R - Myself, Al Kardoley, Dave Hovenden, Ron Burzin, Walter Adkins. Front Row L to R -Gene Backhaus, Robert Clark, Neal Kerr, George Ward, Harry Saunders. All the back row plus Neal Kerr were assigned to Ft. Huachuca after graduation. Neal Kerr was the honor graduate of the class." Here is what he had to say about the earlier history of the school. "My wife and I arrived at Ft. Monmouth in Oct. 59 and we lived in Long Branch, NJ while I attended observer school. I graduated the 13 week 905.1 course at Ft. Monmouth in late Jan. 59. My class size was 10, and 6 of us went to the Sig. C. Met Team, Ft. Huachuca, AZ (FHU) at that time. Some eventually went to the Team at Yuma. Other Teams at the time were located at Aberdeen, MD, Natick, MA, Ft. Benning, GA (Redstone Arsenal), Ft. Greely, AK, White Sands, NM, and Dugway, UT. Most of these teams provided operational support to Army aviation in some way or another, even though their mission was to support R & D. We had USAF-trained Army forecasters at Libby AAF at Ft. Huachuca.
Can't say I recognize any of the names of students or instructors, though I was separated in July of 61. One instructor that I can remember was an SFC Cave, a black man who taught surface obs decoding. Another of the Ft. Monmouth instructors at the time I was there was PFC Terry. As I recall he had been held over to become an instuctor from a prior met observer course. As I recall, the Artillery Met course, which was my second training choice, was then taught at Ft. Sill. The upper air instruction was rather abbreviated in the 13 week course at Monmouth. As a result, in the fall of 59 I was sent to Chanute AFB, TDY from FHU, where the USAF had separated out the upper air course for the USAF observers into a 12 week course. I was apparently the first non-USAF lower grade (E-3) to attend a weather course and at first they didn't know how to billet me, but in short order they treated me like an NCO. We actually provided some Artillery met data on occasion for some exercises at FHU. I still correspond with a fellow Ft. Monmouth student who served with me in the upper air unit at FHU.
On a personal note, I went into the US Weather Bureau after my 3 year enlistment and eventually graduated from San Jose State with a BA in meteorology. I retired from the National Weather Service in 97 and belong to a local private weather company that does part-time forecasting for the agricultural community in central Washington state."

OBITUARY On October 14, 2014 I received notice of Robert S. Robinson's death (see email above).

February 1959. In March, 2004 I got a phone call from Kenneth Knowlton who graduated from the Met. school at Ft. Monmouth in March 1959 and was then stationed at Dugway Proving Grounds in Utah. We later exchanged emails and Ken suggested that we try to organize the ex-Army meteorologists. Ken was an electrican after he got out Army and is now retired and living in NH. In November, 2013 he sent me his class photo (above on right) and added these comments: "Iím just right of the tall guy in back. Norman (Reb) A. Grimsley is 2nd left in back and Robert (Bob) Mautino is 2nd from left in front."

June, 1959. In May, 2006 I heard from Kenneth Fields. He said: "I found your site and some others and have been reading them. I knew some of the people mentioned. As far as my part in this, I enlisted in the Army on Dec 4, 1958. I lived near Brazil, Indiana at the time. I decided to go for the Weather Observer School as my choice. I took basic at Ft Knox Ky. I was assigned to school in February 1959 and I Graduated in the June 12 1959 class. I still have the graduation picture if you would like to have a copy. [See picture on right.] There were 12 in my class. I can't remember all of them. It is surprising how easy you forget. The ones I do remember besides myself are Russell Lewis, Carl Grable, John Hall, Thomas Savage and I think one was named Robinson and another was Howard ? from Wisconsin. Not all of were assigned to weather units. Our instructors were Sp5 Manstream and Sfc Jack Warden. Also I don't know if you knew this but this was a night class. Since we were on nights we only had 2 instructors. We were part of Company Quebec. I was assigned to Yuma Test Station . Later we were told that they needed volunteers for Greenland and I decided that it sounded interesting. We were sent to Ft Huachuca, Arizona in December because they decided they wanted everyone to train together. In January they sent us to Houghton Michigan for further Arctic training. In April we went to Greenland. I was in Greenland the summer of 1961 and was at Tuto West. I was assigned to the weather station at the end of the ramp road leading onto the ice cap. I spent the summer there but in august when we were supposed to come back to the states they decided to extend us another 2 months and I was sent to Camp Century. When they made the film City Under The Ice we were off duty that day and they volunteered some of us to be in the film. I am the one near the end of the film with snow shoes getting into a vehicle to go out and check for radiation on the ice cap. I went to Ft Greely in Feb 1963 and left in August or Sept. 1964. I was there during the earthquake. I was in Ft Greely, Alaska for 18 months. I had requested to go to forecasters school at Chanute but was told that there were too many forecasters in the Army. I served 6 years and 3 months and got out May 28, 1965. I made a career in the Postal Service. I retired as a Postmaster in 1992. I had 27 years in.
Some of the people I remember are as follows. They will only be as I recollect them. I do remember Walter Adkins, Gene Backhaus, Robert Clark, a Ed Holmes, Gary Smith, Vito Gaurino taught me a lot as a new observer, Brownie, and I think a Mr Baldwin, Jake Reigert I think was 1st Sgt when I went to Greely, William Dinsmore, Mike Haap sounds familiar, Mr Kurz, Capt/Major Ridder from Greely and Yuma. 1st Lt/Capt Smith from Yuma, Sgt Andy Anderson from Ft Monmouth, Sgt Arroyo, Sgt Hunter, Sgt Raab, Sgt Frank Rauscher, Russell Hendrickson, Jerome Turner, a guy from Dugway who was from Latvia, Al Mautino, William Carlsen, Major? Schafer, Sfc George Hanky or Hankey, Sfc Carl Pritchard, Msgt Dowell or Mcdowell, Donald Conrad, Peggy Brown, Phil Jos from Ft Huachuca a civilian,1st Sgt Howard at Yuma, Bill Black, Andy Kaufman, Jesse Couch, Sgt Berchtold, Lt Buck CO in Greenland, Jerry Hunt, Sgt Isabel, Sgt Stewart, and many more as soon as I can remember them. Sgt Perkins who went to OCS. A few more names popped in my mind as I worked on things. Edsel Winn and Tommie Thomas were also from Brazil and were sent to Yuma after school. The recruiter for all 3 of us said it sounded so interesting that he went to the school after his recruiting duties were done and I met him later on. Also Sgt Prescott was the 1st Sgt when I left Alaska. Also a Paul Boucher, Kevin OíConner, and a Sgt Murphy at Ft Monmouth in 1962."

In July , 2008 I heard from Eben Lewis who is the son of Russell Lewis in this class. He said his father is "in the back row, third from left, between the windows, scowling like a 19 year old. He'll be 69 this year. He and his wife live in Naples, Florida." Unfortunately, Russell is in poor health.

July 1959. In October, 2004 I heard from Dave Williams. He said: "Hi....Just visited your website and found it very interesting. I attended the Basic Weather Observer school but way back in May-July of 1959. Think there were 10 of us in the class. Only names I can recall now are Stan Todd, Gerald Marsala and a Fitzpatrick. Only instructor I can remember is Mr. Kurtz. After graduation, there were no openings in the entire Army for our MOS so we were all sent to Field Artillery units! 2 of us stayed in the states, ending up at Fort Carson in Honest John units."

Fall 1959. In April, 2003 I heard from Gary Smith. He says: "I attended the meteorological observation course in the summer and early fall of 1959. I don't remember the names of many of the people there at that time except for one instructor, a civilian, named Kurtz. I bunked in the same cubicle with a fellow from Florida named Coleman Whatley. My first post school assignment was at Yuma test station. I remember a Vito Guarino, and a civilian forecaster nicknamed "Brownie." Also there at that time was Gene Backhaus, whose picture I see on your website, a Sergeant Cooper, and a company clerk named Krasny. In January of 1961 I was transferred to Fort Greeley Alaska. The commanding officer was Lieutenant Lon. J. Allen, the first Sergeant was Jake Reigert, head forcaster was Master Sergeant Ray. Here also I was reunited with Coleman Whatley and Sergeant Cooper. Gene Bachaus was there also. I can remember so many faces from my SigC Met days but the names have faded. After the Army I attended the University of Washington for one year with the hopes of becoming a forecaster, but I was not up to the math. requirements, so left. I eventually worked on a survey crew in Los Angeles for 23 years and am now retired on a 40 acre ranch in northeastern Oregon where my wife and I raise a few sheep and lots of merchantable timber."

September 1959. I heard from Jerry O. Park in March, 2004. He sent his class photo (on the right) and says: "I can't remember all the names. top row: James M. Matthews, Elmer Terlinden, ? , ?. 3rd row: Jerry Park, ? , Sgt. Robert Olsen. 2nd row: Gerald L. Doughty, ?. front: ?, Charles D. Severson, ?. " He also provided some other photos which I have posted on my equiptment page, so be sure to check them out. He said: "I enlisted in Mar.1959 less than a year out of highschool and arrived in Ft. Monmouth in June graduating from weather school Sept 25 1959.At that time the MOS was 905.10 and the school lasted 13 weeks. My class was divided into two groups the one pictured and another group.They are all listed togeather on the roster.During one four week part of the course my group attended class on the second shift from 3:30pm to 12:30am if I remember right. The only bad part was having to eat the noon meal in the mess hall for breakfast. I was later stationed with Howard Martin at Ft Huachuca and with Joe Scandariato and Gary Smith at Ft. Greely who said they graduated in the fall of 1959 that I never saw at Ft. Monmouth.Was there more than one class going on at the same time that over lapped with different graduation dates.Joe lived in Hopewell NJ and stayed at home comutting to school but should be listed on the graduation roster. I was assigned to Ft. Huachuca from Oct. until August 60 .I was reassigned to Ft. Greely Ak from Sept.60 to the end of Feb.1962 at which time my enlistment ended and I was discharged from active duty.I was of about fifteen that made up the first SigC Met Team at Ft. Greely replacing Air Force personnel on our arrival at Ft. Greely. At Ft. Huachuca I was mainly involved with micromet servicing weather sites in a radius up to a hundred miles from Ft. Huachuca.Some of the time we were transported by L19 Bird Dogs and H19 helicopters. At FT Greely I also serviced a micromet network at various test ranges but also did some upper air and worked with a White Sands team on Arcas upper air sounding rockets .Once we were taken by an Air Force helicopter out on a bombing range to do a pibal for the Air Force. I was glad I got to go to Alaska and experience what I did. I had an opportunity to attend forecasters school at Lakehurst NJ while I was at Ft. Greely but would have had to reup for six years. If I could have passed the course I would have been a warrant officer but by that time I had decided I didn't want to make a carrier of the military. I read with great intrest the report from Gary Smith with whom I served in Alaska and he refreshed my memory some what with names I had forgotten. Also Bob Robinson's class had some names I remember from Ft. Huachuca. After my Army tour I worked for the US Postal Service retiring in 1998."

Jerry's entire graduating class (September 24, 1959) included: Pvt Charles E Amen; Pvt John C Davis; Pvt Edmond C Delude; Pvt William J Dinsmore Jr; Pvt Gerald L Doughty; Pvt Donald P Holland; Pvt John P Holt III; Pvt Michael W Homyack; Pvt Bobby B Jordan; Sfc Norman Lynch; Pvt James M Matthews; Sgt Robert D Olsen; Pvt Don A Ronken; Pvt Robert H Russell; Pvt Charles D Severson; Pvt Warren J Smith Jr; Pvt Elmer M Terlinden; Pvt Charles E Warren Jr; Pvt Coleman E Whatley Jr; and Pvt Lynn A Willard.

NOTE: In April, 2006 I heard from Mrs. Lisa Warren Black who said: "My father is under the Sept. 1959 paragraph. He is the one pictured in the bottom with glasses. His name is Charles E. Warren, Jr. He lives in Chattanooga, TN with his wife of 44 years and has 3 grandchildren."

I got more information from Jerry in October, 2004. Here are some further comments: "I thought I would give you a update about a contact I made with my first sgt., Jake Reigert, whom I served with at Sig C Met Team Alaska, Ft Greely. Jake was also a civilian instructor at Ft. Sill met school after he retired from the Army. As a result of finding your web site I made some white page searches for some of the people with whom I served. Only one Jake Reigert came up in the whole USA and to my surprise he lives only 60 miles east of me. After several phone conversations I went over to visit he and his wife last June. I went with Wendell LaFevers who was also at Ft Greely in 1960-61 with Chemtest. Wendell now lives about 60 miles from me in Oklahoma where he grew up and returned to after a 20+ year career in the Army including flying helicopters in Viet Nam. I got back in contact with Wendell about a year ago. Also last November Howard Martin with whom I served at Sig C Met Team Huachuca contacted me and now lives about 20 miles west of me after he retired from Bell Helicopter. Jake Reigert went into the Army in 1946 and attended the 905.10 school at Ft. Monmouth in 1956 after the old MOS he had was done away with. After he left Ft. Greely in 1963 he went to Nadick or Maynard Mass. Then in May of 1966 until he retired in Oct. of 1966 he was NCOIC of the weather school at Ft Monmouth. At some point after he retired he went to Ft. Sill as an instructor. Coleman Elmo Whatley Jr. lived in Howe Tx.( pop. 2000 ) where I live, about 20 years ago, for a short time. I haven't heard from him since. I did a white pages search with no results, you would think with that name there should only be one listing. So this past year I have recontacted people I hadn't seen in 40 years. I would like to know if any one knows anything about Lon J Allen my CO at Ft. Greely then a First Lt.?"

In May, 2006 Jerry provided me with the photo above of his group at Ft. Greely in Alaska. Pictured are: Back row: Lt. Allen, Sgt. Reigert, Gary Smith ,Crawford, Saul Cooper, James Matthews, Carroll, Charles Amen, Lambert. Front row: Sgt. Harvey Lytle, Sgt. Ray, Baker, Joe Scandariato, Cwalina, Coleman Whatley, Jerry Park.

January 1961 In March, 2004 I heard from Bob Mitchell. Here is what he said: "I have visited your web site a number of times and found it interesting. I attended the met school jan 1961. It was MOS 905 then. Only later did it become 93e. When I got out of school, there were a number of draftees left over from the years previous. Assigned to Ft. Monmouth met team, every day was an adventure with the draftee clowns around. I remember that one of them found out that they could transmit on the teletype that was set up to receive the observations. He put a lot of crap on the observations until he was cought. Of course, being the Army way, we all were punished for what he had done. I wound up going to Greenland TDY out of Ft. Monmouth. My adventure can be found at . Push the "greenland " button. A few pictures are in the article.
A thought: Computers destroyed the 93E mos. When we started, it took a crew of 6 people 2 hours to work up a radiosonde flight. Today, one person with a computer can transmit the code 10 minutes after balloon burst. Same thing with the micromet field, a data logger can handle unlimited input from sensors, where in the 60's we had to change charts daily, weekly, etc. Then sit down and read the stupid charts, entering them manually. Remember that? Surface obs are computerized these days. The only reason to have an observer is to make sure the equipment is operating. Pibals have been replaced with radar sensors that give continuous readings up to 10,000 feet. surface charts are on demand today directly off the i-net. No more plotting and analyzing the charts.
Do I regret it, nope, it was a great run while it went on and we were in the leading edge of technology. I stayed in the Army my 20 years, all except the 1 year in Viet nam, in MOS 93E. Got out of the Army and went right into a job in the private sector doing AF RT&D on the Utah bombing range. Worked on that job for 18 years, then retired."

Late Spring 1961 In March, 2004 I herd from Mike Haap who was a meteorologist in Thule, Greenland. He says: "I saw the picture and class info of Jan 1959. Half of those guys went to YTS eventually and Gene Backhaus and I went to Greenland together. I was doing research on my talk and showing of 200+ slides from my two tours to Tuto West and Camp Century - City Under the Ice. I joined the Dayton, Ohio based American Meteorological Society. My permanent duty was at Yuma Test Station - from 117 degrees to -38 at Tuto West and then again at Camp Century. I was especially interested in your story of being a teacher at Ft. Monmouth. When I was about finished with my class in the late spring of 1960 the older civilian gentleman who was truly a gentleman, asked me to stay and teach. I replied that I had joined the Army to be a weather observer and felt I needed to get actual experience in the field before I could teach. He said OK and I was assigned to Yuma. And guess what the Army brain trust at Yuma did - even over my protest - they made me the company supply clerk. An unhappy soldier is an understatement. After a couple of months fortunately I learned about the need for volunteers to Greenland. So they switched me to the Field Section where we supported the artillery firings,drone launches, and Honest John and Little John rocket launches. They wanted to give me some experience being a weather observer before I went to Greenland."

April 1961 Jerry Pepin sent me a couple emails and photos in March, 2008. Here is one photo and his comments.
"Thru the magic of google I came across your web pages about Sig C met and the US Army. I was originally from Maine but now live in Oregon. Following basic training at Ft Dix, I was at Ft Monmouth from Nov. 1960 to April 1961. I then went to the Yuma test station from May to November, 1961. We had a large group at YTS. At that time I remember Hovenden, Haap, Clark and Adkins (from your previous emails and photos), as being at Yuma. They were there before me. That summer I was in the field covering the weather obs for the drop zone and down range for artillery shoots, etc. Then followed arctic training at Ft Huachuca and then Tuto West Greenland from Dec 61 to April 62. At Tuto West we had a cook, a Sergeant in charge (Carlson from Minnesota?) and 3 observers: myself, Raymond J Nitko from Rahway NJ and Bobby Jordan from somewhere in the south. I have a lot of photos from Tuto west. Then it was back to Yuma for the summer. I was doing surface obs and later Radiosonde. Flag day (June 17, 1962?) was 117 that year. My best buddies were Ray Nitko, Tom Kent from Queens NY, Brant Wilson from Milford, NH, Al Bartovic from Lacrosse WI, Wally Kalinowski, Tom Ingham (And his wife Margie) from Puyallup WA. It was quite a time. Then back to Ft Huachuca and then to Greenland and Camp Century from Dec 1962 to April 1963. My 21th birthday was up there. I sure remember the Tuborg and Carlsburg beer for 15 cents apiece . I was there with Sgt Drinan, Langrod, Brewer (Canít remember their first names). The lowest I saw was -57. Army aircraft 2219 was a regular visitor and I eventually went back to Tuto on that plane. To me as a young kid Greenland Was one big adventure. Then it was back to Yuma for the spring and summer of 1963. We had a lot of new people in by then. I was discharged on Sept 6, 1963 and drove back to New England with Brant Wilson in his 56 Ford V8. Then followed 4 years at the university of Maine and 4 years of graduate school at Rutgers in NJ. I got a PhD in plant breeding and genetics in 1971 and have been working in Oregon since then. Attached are some photos. The quality is not great as they were enlarged from smaller old photos. I wish I had some good group shots of for example the Ft Monmouth graduation, but I don't think we had a group photo. I know all the names in the photos. The YTS group of 8 [shown here] is clockwise from the lower right: Lee Schwarting, Myself, Bechard, Sissom, Top row standing from the left are Dave Minson, Sisk, Ray Nitko and Artie Sweetland. I can add a lot more detail as to other people and dates. I would just need to spend a little more time looking. Please let me know if you have specific questions about Yuma and Greenland from that time. We had a large group in Yuma and I recall most of them. I have a lot more photos from Yuma and Camp Century, but unfortunately most of them are just shots with a person ot two in them. Thanks for doing this work. It was fun reading about it."

Mid-1961 On May 29, 2008 I heard from David De Roo. He said: "I went into the Army in March 1961. So I must have been at Ft. Monmouth about June of 1961. I was stationed at Yuma for about 18 months, and Ft. Wainwright, Alaska, for my last year. I worked with several of the guys shown in the picture with the April 1961 paragraph. Bechard in Wainwright. Sissom in Yuma. I remember Schwarting but I can't remember from where. Sisk and Sweetland also seem vaguely familiar. I'll have to look around and see if I have anything left over from that time."

January 1964 (my class). In July, 2002 I emailed, then talked on the phone with Thomas Miles. He was in my class when I first attended the Meteorological Observation course and was also retained as an instructor in the school upon graduation. Tom was a Pvt. when we first met, but some time after leaving Ft. Monmouth as a Sgt. E-6 he attended OCS and later retired from the Army as a Major. Here is what Tom had to say: "I was sent to Ft. Monmouth and the 93E course in September of 1963 after boot camp at Ft. Polk, Louisiana. But I was given an "advanced placement" with your class, based on 4 years of prior service in the USAF Weather Service -- a year in the states, a year in Korea and 2 years in France. (I had a 3 1/2 year break for college studies, marriage, etc. before deciding to reenlist and go for an Army career. Made PFC after BCT, based on my prior service.) In short, I did not attend the first 6-7 weeks of the school as you and the others did. So I studied and caught up with you and everyone else. I think you and I attended separate classes for Instructional Methods Division (IMD) to become instructors....not sure. If so, we were still contemporaries and attended IMD at the same time but with different schedules. Somewhere in the attic, I still have my old Instructor Badge, plaques, awards, etc. Maybe some photos.
The people I recall when I left Ft. Monmouth as SSG (E6) in about June, 1966:
Tony Kurtz -- GS-12, Chief of the 93E Course Program / Met him and others again in early 1971 at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, when I was a 1LT / CPT and assigned as Asst. Chief, Metro Division, Target Acquisition Department, Field Artillery School.
SFC Robert (Bob) Horn -- Operations NCOIC for 93E Course / Met him again, too, at Sill in 1971.
SSG Ed (Robbie) Robbins -- Senior Instructor.
SP5 Art Germaine -- Instructor.
SSG Richard (Dick) Genest -- Instructor. Served with him later (about 1967) at White Sands Missile Range, NM.
SGT Robert (Bob) Lowden and SGT Richard (Dick) Kuepper -- Instructors. They left together in 1965, both commissioned from FA-OCS at Ft. Sill.
SP4/SP5? Eugene (Gene) Lerch -- Instructor.
Mr. (Swartz/Schwartz?) -- Senior Civilian 93E Instructor, retired USAF MSG. Met him, too, at Ft. Sill in 1971.
Don't remember the other individuals you mentioned -- Ballinger, Reigert or Martin.
The annex area for Rawinsonde (Radiosonde) classes was Bldg. 200, located 1/4 to 1/2 mile northeast from the main school building. Yes, there was an office for the instructors with a lone AN/TMQ-5 on which we played an assortment of "canned" flights for the students in the adjoining classroom with multiple Q-5's. I remember that! Outside were 3-4 plastic domes which housed the AN/GMD-1 tracking devices, some storage, a tent, etc."
Well, Paul, hope this is a bit helpful. If I think of more, I'll let you know. Have often wondered about you and so many others from those days. Tell me if any of what I've said has joggled your memories, OK?"

January 1964 (my class). In Feb., 2010 I got an email from another of my classmates. Mike Kramer says: "Yeah..I was at Monmouth when Kennedy was shot & I was in the same class of 93E20's as you. They offered me an instructorship at Monmouth but I simply had to get out of New Jersey so off I went. I went first to Huachuca & spent a lot of time at Libby. Believe it or not, I wanted to go to VietNam & was told that the AirForce had weather in-country at that I spent my time on TDY assignments and at Libby AAF-doing shift work (observations), most of the Army pilots I knew used Libby as a place to go between tours to VietNam - mostly light aircraft & heliocopters. Then went to Greenland (Camp Century/Toto & a heavy swing across the cap -towards Iceland. That was neat- while bored one day I filled out an "Application for Federal Employment"- put it on a heliocopter that came out for resupply and forgot about it...I had an "involuntary extension" due to the conflict in SouthEast Asia. Got discharged from Huachuca -same E-5 & same medals. One week after discharge I got a telegram saying...I was accepted for a position with the USWB assigned to Overseas Operations first trip out was to T-3 (an ice island floating around in the Arctic) followed by at trip to the Canadian Arctic- North of the "DEW Line" I was the executive officer (civilian) with stations at Resolute, Mould Bay, Isachen, Eureka and Alert Station. Traded a bottle of Seagram's7 and some .30.06 shells for a polar bear skin, my final tour was to the Antarctic...I wintered at Byrd Station but flew around an awful lot.Got an island named after me somewhere down south. I started getting a bit too uncivilized and USWB wouldn't offer me a full time equatorial assignment & I didn't want a desk in Boulder CO or Washington DC so I dropped the entire "weather guy" role and have done a bunch of other pretty neat things with my life...I'm still working and will probably continue to until they throw me out. I live west of DC in Leesburg VA. PS I am pretty sure I remember you & I think Larry Ehlers may have followed in my footsteps with trips both North & South Polar regions...but haven't spoken to him or any others from our "class".

NOTE: In January, 2007 I received the following email about one of my Instructors: "My name is Loretta Roller, AKA, Loretta Genest. I was born in 1965 in Ft. Monmouth. My father served in the military and was also stationed at White Sands at one time. He died on December 20th of 2006."
To view the email messages from people who graduated in the first class through 1958 go HERE.
To view the email messages from people who graduated after my class in January, 1964 go HERE.
To view the email messages from people who graduated after the school moved from Ft. Monmouth go HERE.

This page accessed

times since August 20, 2002 and 302 times before that since November 20, 2001.

E-mail feedback or questions to Paul Roales.
I hope you have enjoyed my efforts. I want to extend thanks to everyone who provided information for this page. Feel free to email me with suggestions for improvements using the link above. You can return to my MOS 93E2 page HERE, or go to my HOMEPAGE here. You can access my other web pages from there.
Page and all contents copyright 2001 to 2015 by Paul A. Roales